Email Marketing – Mistakes to Avoid
There are so many things I need to share with you on the do’s and don’ts of email marketing! As soon as I get this list typed to you… the rules will change! It can be frustrating, but it’s also fun 🙂
Here’s some common sense stuff (or at least should be):
– Talk like a human
– Remember you are talking to another human (we talked about this in an earlier article… this is likely THE MOST IMPORTANT TIP I can stress).
-Treat others like you want to be treated.
– Don’t SPAM people (give people, a way to opt in… don’t just grab cards and put people on your email list… that’s not permission).
– Don’t send crap no one wants to read about.
– Don’t waste people’s time ( sending crap they don’t want to read about).
– ALWAYS deliver value (yes a coupon is valuable.. but if it’s the ONLY thing you send it is annoying).
– Carry a conversation, open yourself up for comments and responses. Respond back to people.
– Focus on the person, not your product.
– Don’t speak “corporate talk” .. talk like a normal (or relatively normal) human… show your personality.
– Make an effort to specialize your messaging (this is called segmenting and can be done easily with your Email provider dashboard).
– Always make it easy for people to unsubscribe.
The main point ringing through here should be to be personal and treat people with respect. Remember when email first began? (Honestly, I can’t remember… hasn’t it always been around?)… but you get the point. Remember when people only emailed those they knew and wanted to carry a conversation with? For some reason we have lost our way. Email marketing is not a platform to bring our advertising game.. It’s still about carrying conversations with people we know, like a trust. Ask yourself: “How well are you known, liked and trusted with your list?”.
Will like to hear your opinion in the comments. Will be glad if you share this article with your friends =)